Riding the sea change
Wed Jan 30, 2008
In a year of extremes, from the best-crafted subprime shorts to the billions lost in the quant meltdown, plenty of hot topics were debated at the Absolute Return Symposium.
At the 2007 Absolute Return Symposium, industry leaders
dissect the subprime short and the quant meltdown - and see
trouble ahead for the U.S. and the dollar
the billions of dollars hedge funds made shorting subprime to
the billions lost in the quant meltdown, 2007 was a year of
extremes - and excitement in the U.S. hedge fund industry that
shows no signs of abating this year. "There will be a lot of
funds going out of business in the coming year, but there will
be a lot of people starting," said Byron Wien, chief investment
strategist at Pequot Capital, at the opening panel of the 2007
Absolute Return Symposium, an annual event that was held in
December. "This is a performance business, and it lives and
dies by performance."
As Wien noted, "the funds that did well recognized what was
going on in credit early." Among them were...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager