West Virginia enters the direct investment fray
Fri Jun 5, 2009
Strategic diversification is the key to West Virginia's state pension programme if the scheme is to meet its future funding needs
Strategic diversification is the key to West Virginia's
state pension programme if the scheme is to meet its future
By Susan Barreto
The tiny $8 billion state pension programme of West Virginia
is positive proof that size does not matter when it comes to
hedge fund sophistication, as trustees take the direct approach
when it comes to a number of potential strategies.
A little over four years ago, two of the eight pension plans
served by the West Virginia Investment Management Board -
Teachers' Retirement System and the Public Safety Retirement
Fund - reported funding levels of 22% and 26% respectively.
Those same pension portfolios, which had some of the worst
funding ratios in the US, were transformed to 90% and 100%
funding levels in just three years.
The latest impressive move for trustees was taken last July
to put more than $1 billion to work with 19...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager