KVO lives in the woods, but earns big city returns
By Suzy Kenly Waite
Mon Mar 29, 2010
A 63.5% return in 2009 validates the decision by Kip Oberting, a Dartmouth College graduate and former White Mountains Insurance Group executive, to set up shop in rural New Hampshire.
While many new hedge funds seek an exclusive address on Fifth
Avenue in New York or Mayfair in London, Kip Oberting chose to
set up shop in a rural New England town four-and-a-half hours
from New York on I-91 and across the Connecticut River.
KVO's office above the Dartmouth Bookstore. Courtesy
KVO office interior. Courtesy of
Oberting’s firm, KVO Capital Management, is based
in Hanover, NH, most recognizable to outsiders as the home of
Dartmouth College. Despite the presence of an Ivy League
university and a renowned medical center,
Hanover’s financial industry is virtually
nonexistent. But Oberting believes being away from the market
noise helps him remain rational and individualistic.
He founded the firm in May 2008, and KVO launched an offshore
version of the fund on Jan. 1. Before he set up KVO, Oberting
ran a $2.5 billion re-insurance portfolio at Montpelier
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager