State pension rehab takes direct route
Tue May 4, 2010
New York State adds $2.5 billion to hedge funds, plans emerging manager addition
By Susan Barreto
In spite of a lot of hurdles, New York State
Retirement Fund has become an institutional market leader in
direct hedge fund allocations. In the last 18 months, the
retirement fund has completely rebuilt its hedge fund portfolio
so that it is now a world-class show piece of hedge fund
investing, not withstanding the volatile mix of political
scandal and poor performing markets.
Indeed, the New York State Retirement Fund has become the
focal point on the rolodex for any aspiring single manager.
Most recently, an allocation of $250 million to London-based
emerging markets total return specialist Finisterre Capital
propelled the firm to a new level. According to EuroHedge, the
allocation is one of the New York State's largest single hedge
fund investments to date.
Not satisfied with simply the size and diversity of its
hedge fund portfolio - which saw more than $1.3 billion in
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager