Unbiased view gives Aurora its edge
Fri Jul 2, 2010
Aurora's top executives don't favour specific strategies, they just aim to recruit the best managers into the portfolio
is quite clear about what differentiates Aurora Investment
Management from other fund of funds groups. It is that the
three senior people at the firm make all the critical
investment decisions. This would not be surprising at a small
organisation, but Chicago-based Aurora runs nearly $10 billion
and employs 90 people.
Martino is president and chief executive officer of Aurora. She
and her fellow portfolio managers - Scott Schweighauser, who is
chief investment officer, and Justin Sheperd - have worked
together as a team for 14 years. The three are generalists, not
strategy specialists, a fact that Martino also considers
crucial in giving Aurora an edge over the competition.
It works because none of the three is biased towards a
particular strategy, so no-one feels the need to protect their
turf when picking managers or changing allocations. "I believe
our willingness to shift among strategies over the last...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager