Alden Global lags 2009, waits for "realization"
By Britt Erica Tunick
Wed Aug 18, 2010
Distressed guru Randall Smith had a spectacular 2009. This year's gains could require more patience.
Though Alden Global Capital generated blockbuster returns in
2009, the firm has struggled to repeat those gains this year.
The Alden Global Distressed Opportunities Fund is up only 2.9%
through July, a far cry from its 186.9% return for 2009. The
fund fell 11.7% in May and another 8.4% in June, though it
returned to positive territory for July with a gain of
The firm was launched in October 2008 by distressed-debt
market expert Randall Smith, who helped train some of the
industry’s most notable names, including Avenue
Capital Group chairman Marc Lasry; Jim Bennett of James Bennett
Management; and Smith’s son-in-law, Doug
Teitelbaum of Bay Harbour...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager