European fund industry needs ‘critical’ tax reforms: report says
Tue Sep 21, 2010
There should not be tax leakage between the master and feeder fund according to a report published by the European Fund and Asset Management Association and KPMG’s European Investment Management practice.
The 120 page report, Analysis of the tax implications of
UCITS IV , states it is important that the conversion of a
UCITS into a feeder fund does not have adverse tax consequences
for the fund or investors.
Peter de Proft
Under UCITS IV, a feeder fund will be allowed to invest its
assets in another fund, a master fund. As it currently stands,
certain member states levy withholding taxes on cross-border
dividend distributions to foreign feeders, or impose tax on
redemptions in the country where the master fund is
The report adds: "Investing via a master fund could give
rise to additional tax charges. If a country levies withholding
tax on distributions from a master fund to a feeder fund, or a
capital gains tax when the feeder fund...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager