Elliott’s Hollywood gamble
Wed Sep 22, 2010
Paul Singer is using his sharp elbows to take on
the movie industry, but has he met his match?
In his now infamous second-quarter 2010 investor letter,
Paul Singer, founder and chief executive of $17 billon New York
hedge fund firm Elliott Management, made a seemingly innocuous
announcement about one of his equity investments: "Relativity
Media has announced the appointment of Michael Joe as
president." A 15-year executive at the California motion
picture company Universal, Joe had most recently been its chief
Headquartered on Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles, Relativity
is a media and entertainment company founded by Ryan Kavanaugh,
in which Elliott has a significant investment.
Joe’s appointment had film insiders speculating he
had been brought in at the behest of Elliott as part of an
effort to turn the company around. But those close to Kavanaugh
and Elliott say it was Kavanaugh who pushed for Joe, as he was
keen to build up the firm’s senior management and
get into the film studio business. In...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager