Five to watch
By Lawrence Delevingne, Suzy Kenly Waite
Mon Nov 1, 2010
Tough market conditions turn out a crop of hearty young funds, with double digit returns in the midst of turmoil.
By Lawrence Delevingne & Suzy Kenly
Clockwise from top left: Gregory Weaver, Patrick
Galley, Syed Ali and Steve Hornstein.
(Illustrations by Joe Morse)
Skepticism proved to be the winning hedge fund strategy in
2008, but 2009 required managers to switch to an entirely
different mindset. Casting fear aside & going all-in on the
market’s resurgence last year took nerves of
steel, but that gutsiness paid off handsomely for those who
took the plunge, as AR’s seventh annual Funds to
Not everyone had the courage. This year’s crop
is a smaller group than any AR has selected in its previous
annual surveys. Each year AR profiles some of the most talented
small fund managers, focusing on those running new strategies
with less than $500 million in capital and at least one year of
While the largest firms frequently gather the most money,
the best performance is often found...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager