Flat business structure keeps NB Alternatives in the loop
Fri Dec 3, 2010
CIO Eric Weinstein believes in team decision making and shared responsibility for more consistent results
By Claire Makin
There is nothing half-hearted about the NB Alternatives Fund of
Hedge Funds team or its beliefs. Too much diversification
weakens portfolios; hedge funds change what they do over time
so watch them with eagle eyes; a flat hierarchy is the best way
to run the business.
Also, avoid growing too attached to your managers. "There
are plenty of hedge funds out there," says Eric Weinstein, the
team’s chief investment officer and managing
Despite strict rules, the team insists that it does not
follow a rigid approach to investing. "We try not to be too
dogmatic. We view pragmatism as our strength," says Jeff Majit,
who is the London-based head of European investments as well as
head of event-driven and relative value research.
In fact, the team’s approach is more consensus
than prescriptive guidelines. Their core beliefs have developed
over the years that...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager