Future UCITS hedge growth to come from the US
Mon Feb 21, 2011
Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, speaks with John Lowry, chairman and co-founder of ML Capital, about the opportunities and challenges for the UCITS hedge fund business. Lowry discusses the opportunities for US-based managers, why he set up ML Capital, the threats from the long-only asset managers and investors.
Some of the biggest opportunities for UCITS hedge funds are
from US-based managers, according to John Lowry from ML
Three-quarters of hedge fund managers are US-based and that
will create some of the biggest opportunities for UCITS growth,
according to Lowry, chairman and co-founder of ML
John Lowry from ML Capital.
ML Capital, which acts as investment manager and promoter of
the MontLake UCITS platform, which launched its first fund on
the platform, Clareville Capital’s Pegasus UCITS
Fund run by David Yarrow, in October last year.
He says: "A year ago many US-based managers were not
interested in UCITS – then came the AIFM Directive and
this renewed interest. One of the biggest barriers for
these managers is distribution.
"There will be lots of US-based managers launching UCITS funds
in the second half of 2011, as well as many Asian managers
coming on board.
"There seems to be...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager