The evolving role of the chief operating officer
Wed Feb 23, 2011
What qualities do you need to succeed?
Aradhna Dayal: Let’s talk
about the role of the new-age COO and how that has changed
post-Madoff. What are the qualities of a successful COO
Colin Lunn: Five years ago, this was pretty
much a non-existent role in Asia. A positive development since
then has been an increasing number of professional and
qualified COOs. Managers are realising that you
can’t just sit there with one man and a dog and
your kitchen sink to run a fund – they now have to
build out the people and infrastructure.
When the hedge fund boom started, every single start-up
would have one, maybe two, people. Now you go in and see at
least 10 people at the start-up stage; and very quickly
it’s up to 15 or more. This will probably continue
François Hora: The experience level of a COO is very
important. Having run a...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager