The US view: Absolute return UCITS gain their stars and stripes
Thu Jun 2, 2011
The US has the largest fund industry in the world. Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, speaks to US-based players about the development of absolute return UCITS.
UCITS are already one of the greatest financial exports of
all time. The wrapper has gained acceptance outside the
European area where the legislation hails from and has gained
acceptance from investors in Asia, Latin America and
But US-based retail investors are still unable to invest in
the structure and institutional investors only have access to
funds using the structure via a private placement regime.
The US has not been left out completely from the UCITS
equation, with North American asset managers launching funds
using the wrapper with the aim of capturing a diversified
investor base outside their home territory.
Prior to 2010 many US-based asset managers were not interested
in UCITS. But there has been increased activity from US-based
hedge fund and other asset managers launching absolute return
UCITS in the past six months.
More absolute return UCITS funds hailing from the US are
expected to launch by...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager