Trailblazer Yang Liu looks ahead to a one-stop shop for Asia ex-Japan
Wed Jul 20, 2011
At the vanguard of investment in China and now lead shareholder in Atlantis, Yang Liu’s strength of character is evident and it has helped her successfully navigate the turmoil of 2008 when redemptions threatened to finish her fund
If anyone is in doubt about the ascendancy of mainland Chinese
entrepreneurs in the global hedge fund management arena, they
should pay more attention to Yang Liu, the chairperson and
chief investment officer of Atlantis Investment Management.
Hired by Atlantis co-founder the late Peter Irving in 2002 to
launch a China fund to complement Atlantis’
existing suite of Asian absolute return equity funds, Yang is
now the firm’s controlling shareholder, a position
she says she never expected to be in.
While Yang may well be genuinely surprised to find herself
at the helm of a fund house that was founded by what she
describes as "three English gentlemen from Schroders", it is
hard to believe that her rise is a shock to anyone else. Yang
has been in the thick of China’s rapidly
developing equities markets since it all began with her
fund’s investment in Qingdao Brewery,...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager