Distribution: Barriers to entry
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, explores retail distribution and the possible barriers to entry for offshore fund managers. This is the second article in a two-part series.
Many offshore hedge funds may pull out of the market after
six months fears IFA Christopher Haigh.
Haigh, a Chartered Financial Planner for Berkshire-based
Copthorne Financial Services, says he is a little skeptical of
traditional offshore fund managers moving into the retail space
because of their lack of experience in dealing with this
element of the distribution chain.
He says: "The offshore fund space is a very different world.
It is so different from the traditional retail investment
sector that has traditionally offered long-only equity and bond
funds. Some IFAs do understand the offshore hedge fund
environment and market place – but not many."
James Baxter from Tideway Investment Partners.
The absolute return UCITS funds still sector is still finding
it feet, according to James Baxter, a partner with London-based
Tideway Investment Partners.
Tideway is about to launch an absolute return UCITS fund on
the Alceda platform (earlier story here)....
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager