CQS team thrive with low-vol credit strategy
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Simon Finch and his CQS long/short credit team are targeting positive returns every year with a strategy that is materially different in concept and construction from other funds in the highly volatile credit space
The past four years have been a quite extraordinary time in
credit markets – with the savage bust of 2007 and 2008
being followed by a swift and spectacular boom through 2009 and
early 2010, turning again to growing uncertainty and
bearishness over the past year or so.
Managing any credit fund through such a violent cycle would
have been a challenge. But managing one that explicitly sets
out to deliver consistent, low-vol and uncorrelated positive
returns every year must have been even more of a challenge than
Yet that is just what Simon Finch, the manager of the CQS
Credit Long/Short strategy, and his team at CQS have achieved
since launching the fund as a standalone vehicle in April 2009
– having previously traded the strategy for around a
year within the firm’s Capital Structure Arbitrage
fund, which is closed to investment.
Having returned some 17% in...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager