Time to fly the flag again for smaller managers (Magazine Version)
Tue Nov 1, 2011
It's not only the big guys who matter
The formation by global hedge fund association AIMA of a
dedicated forum for smaller managers is a welcome and important
step. It serves as a timely reminder that the hedge fund
industry is not — and never has been — about
just a small number of large managers. It is a business whose
diversity, dynamism, spirit of entrepreneurialism and continual
capacity for reinvention and renewal are among its greatest
strengths and assets.
For all its excellent intentions and largely laudable work,
the Hedge Fund Standards Board has sometimes given the
impression that only the big guys matter. That has also seemed
to be the attitude of the regulators, certainly in the UK.
Their overriding focus on a small group of larger managers may
perhaps be justifiable in terms of systemic risk management,
although such a narrow field of vision can hardly give the
financial supervisors a rounded view. But it has...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager