The sun rises on Japan’s vibrant hedge fund shore
Thu Nov 3, 2011
Japanese institutional investors look to set a new pace in Asia as local hedge funds carve out unique opportunities
By Susan Barreto
The Land of the Rising Sun seems also to be the land of rising
hedge fund interest. Investor capital flows into Japan will be
determined, however, by performance, promise and the potential
of managers and strategies within the region and globally.
Japan’s names of Nippon and Nihon literally
mean "the sun’s origin" and also refer to the
country’s eastward position from China. And so
despite all the interest in China’s rising star,
many managers and investors seem to be revisiting their
previous views on Japan despite the country’s
continuing challenges. Just this year an earthquake, a tsunami
and the subsequent nuclear meltdown have all had an impact.
Individual statistics are not easy to come by on
Japan’s own top investors, but there seems to be
an optimistic consensus in industry surveys and among hedge
fund marketers that local insurance companies, pension...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager