Taking a look ahead to see what opportunities 2012 may bring
Fri Jan 20, 2012
After a very difficult 2011, AsiaHedge looks forward to a stronger showing in equities and possible gains for macro and event-driven funds given the high level of political volatility
Few hedge fund managers will be sorry to see the back of 2011.
It was by any measure a tough year – the AsiaHedge
Composite Index median fell 5.70% for the year. Even the
strongest-performing strategy area – US
dollar-denominated Japan funds – ended 2011 down
2.74%, and at the other end of a dark spectrum sat the India
equity fund universe, down a whopping 32.11% for the year.
China funds did somewhat better, but were still down 16.53%
The last quarter saw a rash of big-name fund closures. In
November, Wessex Asset Management closed down its three funds,
including the Wessex Asia Fund. A month later, hedge funds
veteran and industry pioneer K H Paik announced that he was
calling it a day for CoreVest Partners after 13 years,
following a run of poor performance. A few days later, the
closure of Boyer Allan...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager