New fund survey for 2011: The elation slows in volatile markets
Tue Feb 28, 2012
Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, reviews the only annual single manager new fund survey for the alternative UCITS sector.
The euphoria surrounding the early wave of launches in the
alternative UCITS sector seen in 2010 has been followed by a
period of slower growth the following year, according to the
Absolute UCITS global new fund survey for 2011.
The assets under management pulled into new funds using
hedging strategies are down by $3.4 billion to $6.1 billion
last year from $9.5 billion in 2010 (see chart below). However,
the 36% decline of alternative assets attracted into new funds
using the UCITS wrapper was against a backdrop of volatile
markets, increased regulatory pressures, higher barriers to
entry and an unstable economic environment which has created a
potent cocktail of uncertainty.
In the second half of 2011 the number of fund launches was
down with 43 being launched with around $1.7 billion assets
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager