Permal continues to navigate the turbulent markets with 20-year-old $5.5bn global macro fund
Wed Apr 4, 2012
After two decades, Permal Asset Management has proven it can stand the test of time, having two funds of funds that are still performing, year on year
Twenty years is a long time to be running funds of hedge funds.
According to the InvestHedge Database, the funds of hedge funds
that have an inception date in 1992 included Key Global Fund,
now part of SEB’s alternative unit, Olympia Star
II, Sandalwood Securities’ Oxbridge Partners, Sire
Partners, La Fayette Holdings Fund and Stenham Asset
Management’s Stenham Universal Portfolio, as well
as GAM Multi-Emerging Markets, Permal Investment Holdings and
Permal Macro Holdings (see table).
Taking a closer look at Permal Macro Holdings – the
largest 20-year-old fund in the universe with assets of $5.5
billion – as an example provides an interesting
parallel to the overall development of the funds of funds
industry, its challenges, succession and ultimately how to
manage performance and client expectations all rolled into one
product. Permal Asset Management’s investment
management approach across all its products is like navigating
a growing ship...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager