The legacy of Georges Coulon Karlweis
Thu May 3, 2012
A tribute by Alexandre Col, member of the executive committee, Banque Privée Edmond de Rothschild SA
With the funds of funds industry in its own state of flux the
passing away of its founding father Georges Coulon Karlweis at
the age of 84 makes us think about the origin of our industry.
A major figure in the world of finance and the right-hand
man of the late Baron Edmond de Rothschild, Georges played a
key managerial role at Banque Privée Edmond de
Rothschild in Geneva for several decades.
In 1969, Georges set up Leveraged Capital Holdings, the
first fund of hedge funds in the world. Forty two years ago,
the idea of allocating across several hedge fund managers to
create a specific "asset class" was revolutionary and allowed
more investors to access hedge funds.
An individual stock’s specific risk can be
mitigated through the creation of a diversified portfolio, and
this discovery was crucial in developing equities as the asset
class that we know...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager