Do healthcare funds deliver the right medicine?
Mon May 28, 2012
As the number of funds using the UCITS framework increases, the depth and breadth of strategies has increased. Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, explores the growing number of funds deploying a healthcare theme within the UCITS wrapper.
More healthcare strategies are launching funds using the
UCITS framework. Since 2010 a number of healthcare strategy
funds have launched and more are expected to follow this
The healthcare investment strategy area is often seen as
defensive because of its typically non-cyclical nature.
However, the perception of the strategy is changing
–because it is going through a number of fundamental
structural changes, like an ageing global population, a growing
middle class in emerging markets, and ongoing innovation.
Changing landscape of healthcare
Healthcare, accessed primarily through government funding, is
a benefit that every citizen needs, and changing demographics
mean there is an increase in the number of older people
globally, according to Emile Westergaard, fund manager of the
MS PWP Tokum Long/Short Healthcare UCITS Fund.
Indeed, by 2050 the number of older persons in the world will
exceed the number of young for the first time in history,
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager