Malta: The emerging EU domicile
Mon May 28, 2012
Malta is attempting to establish itself as a cost competitive alternative to Luxembourg and Ireland. Joy Dunbar, editor of Absolute UCITS, looks at one of the newer financial centres in the European Union.
Ireland and Luxembourg currently dominate the world of
alternative UCITS domiciles – certainly by numbers of
Together, the two leading domiciles accounted for a combined
total of 336 funds out of a total of 479 trading, according to
the Absolute UCITS asset survey at 31 December 2011.
Malta, an island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea and
one of the smallest countries in the European Union, is
attempting to establish itself and compete with the hegemony of
other fund domiciles.
Kenneth Farrugia: FinanceMalta,
Bryan Garnier Asset Management is going through the process of
setting up a specialist UCITS IV platform which works with
boutique US-based hedge fund managers in Malta.
"One of the managers at BGAM has set up a Maltese domiciled
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager