Passport liquidates materials fund
By Lawrence Delevingne
Tue Jul 10, 2012
The once-$360 million strategy’s private investments hindered performance. The closure is a significant short-term reversal for Burbank’s long-term bet on global resource shortages.
Passport Capital’s small materials fund is
liquidating following steep second-quarter losses in private
iron ore, potash and coal investments, according to a letter
sent to investors yesterday.
Burbank (Photo: Bloomberg)
The Passport Materials Fund, co-managed by Jim Cunningham
and Sebastien Boifort and launched in March 2006, ran as much
as $360 million at the end of 2010 but has fallen to about $140
million, according to an investor. Passport, led by founder
John Burbank, managed $3.6...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager