Walker Smith to shut
By Lawrence Delevingne
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Founders Reid Walker and Stacy Smith cite the lack of permanent capital and a changed investment landscape.
WS Capital Management, Reid Walker and G. Stacy
Smith’s Dallas-based small- and mid-cap equity
hedge fund firm, is shutting down.
A letter sent on August 28 to investors in the approximately
$550 million shop cited two broad reasons for the closure: the
increased macroeconomic risks for stock pickers and the
firm’s frustrations with increasing liquidity and
"For a long short fund that focuses on stock picking, the
market gyrations and correlation that are driven by macro
events are frustrating," Walker and Smith wrote in the letter.
"We would rather see a market crash and full cycle rather than
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager