Low growth and return environment allows Private Advisors’ investment beliefs to shine through
Wed Oct 10, 2012
Richmond, Virginia-based firm takes private money research-driven value-oriented heritage to institutional market
By Claire Makin
With its research-driven, value-based philosophy, Private
Advisors takes a very long view of investing. "We tend not to
chase fads in our portfolios," says Tim Berry, the partner
responsible for hedge fund of funds portfolio management at the
$3.7 billion investment boutique.
Anything less than 10 years is too short a time horizon to
judge equity returns, according to Private Advisors, which has
a 14-year track record and runs private equity funds of funds
as well as funds of hedge funds from its headquarters in
The partners take a similar long-term approach to building
their own business. There were no layoffs at Private Advisors
in 2008, and they see the current environment as an excellent
one for hiring talent.
But while long-term may mean conservative, it does not mean
unadventurous, Berry points out. As well as being
value-oriented, patient and driven...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager