Mortgage investors mint mega year
By Lawrence Delevingne
Fri Jan 18, 2013
Marathon, Pine River, BTG Pactual, others finish 2012 with eye-popping returns.
Steve Kuhn, Pine River Capital Management's jovial,
bald headed mortgage master, called it early. "I simply love
the mortgage market. It's the best place to be right now," Kuhn
told a small roomful of people at SkyBridge Capital's SALT conference in May. "It
feels like everyone wants to be a mortgage hedge funds manager
Kuhn was right. The mortgage backed securities
story took hold over the following months as money poured into the strategy and hedge funds in
it put up the industry's best numbers: nearly everyone had
double-digit returns and a few pushed into the 30% to 40%
range, home run territory.
Today, the question on investor minds is whether the stellar
gains from investing in MBS can last. But what a year it was.
The median manager in the strategy gained 15.61% for 2012,
according to the Absolute Return MBS Index, compared with a
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager