A prescription for healthy returns
Wed Jun 19, 2013
China’s healthcare industry is thriving in spite of a slowing economy – opening new investment vistas for global hedge fund managers, despite some already rich stock valuations in the sector
Healthcare spending in China, the world’s second
largest economy, is estimated to hit a record $1 trillion in
2020 as compared to about $400 billion at present –
and industry experts expect that the nearly 20% annual growth
witnessed by the country’s pharmaceutical market
in the last decade could continue for several years more.
The dizzying pace at which China’s healthcare
industry has grown has not gone un-noticed by the global hedge
fund community – which is constantly on the lookout
for new, rich sources of alpha.
New York-based hedge fund shop, Fortress, for example,
announced a plan to invest $1 billion in senior care in China,
while Orbimed Advisors has been considering the launch of a
dedicated new Asian healthcare fund.
It is for this reason that the China healthcare industry has
emerged as a bright spot for money managers amid...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager