Fir Tree propels past $10 billion on activism, credit profits
By Rob Copeland
Mon Aug 5, 2013
Strong performance, Mexican activism fuel growth.
||Fir Tree founder
Fir Tree Partners is raking it in. The 20-year old firm
founded by private equity veteran Jeffrey Tannenbaum pushed
past the $10 billion mark this summer on the back of strong
performance by its main hedge fund strategies, according to
investor documents obtained by Absolute Return.
The flagship $7.2 billion multistrategy Fir Tree Value Fund
is up 7.3% this year through June 30, following a 17.4% gain in
2012, nearly doubling the
Absolute Return Multistrategy Index both times. Since its
1994 inception, the fund has produced a net annualized return
Firmwide assets were at $10.3 billion as of July 1, up from
$7.89 billion only one year earlier. The flagship multistrategy
fund and a credit fund hold the majority of the firm's assets.
Fir Tree also runs closed-end MBS and real estate funds that
constitute about 15%...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager