Where Is The Right Place To Be?
Sat Sep 1, 2001
More managers are choosing to start their fund in the region, but there is no perfect location - it is all down to personal preference
Where do you base an Asian hedge fund? It is a surprisingly
complex and emotive issue. Is it best to base the key
investment professionals in Tokyo or Hong Kong? Or can they do
the job just as well from London or Seattle?
For the time being the majority of Asian- invested assets
are being managed from the UK and the US. However, the pace of
growth of Asian-based managers is accelerating.
Part of this process is being driven by investors. They are
increasingly comfortable investing with Asian-based managers.
They can also see the merits of having Asian managers in the
region where they are closer to the information flow and
companies they follow.
But even if a manager makes the decision to set up in Asia,
that is not the end of the debate. There are plenty of Japanese
equity funds based in Singapore, Hong Kong or Australia.
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager