CAI’s strong returns show how multi-strategy can work in Asia
Tue Mar 15, 2011
Never one to rest on his laurels, Eddie Tam is already planning to take his organically grown Asia Focused Multi-Strategy Fund to the $500m mark by proving its worth in regional markets
When Eddie Tam co-founded Central Asset Investments in April
2005 and launched CAI’s Asia Focused
Multi-Strategy Fund a few months later, there were plenty of
sceptics who didn’t share Tam’s hunch
that multi-strategy was the way to deliver sustainable
attractive returns from the Asian markets.
However, those who did subscribe to Tam’s idea,
and to the fund, have seen their assets grow 342% in five
years. Even taking into account the events of 2008, by January
this year the fund was 60% above its 2007 high watermark, and
assets under management were fast approaching $250 million.
"We’ve grown very much organically,
we’ve never been big asset gatherers," says Tam.
"Because of our good performance we’ve attracted
capital from like-minded long-term investors. The fact that
we’ve built good performance is not a fluke. A lot
of outside investors didn’t believe that
multi-strategy was the...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager