NEW FUNDS: Numbers drop but assets rise
Mon Apr 16, 2012
New hedge funds globally which launched with $50 million or more in assets raised a combined total of nearly $34 billion in 2011, according to HedgeFund Intelligence and the new fund surveys of AR, EuroHedge and AsiaHedge.
DATA INCLUDES: Top 25 hedge fund launches in 2011; Assets raised by new funds over $50M, 2006-2011; New funds by strategy – by region; Global new funds by location
Samantha Munday, senior data and research associate,
New hedge funds globally which launched with $50 million or
more in assets raised a combined total of nearly $34 billion in
2011, according to HedgeFund Intelligence and the new fund
surveys of AR, EuroHedge and AsiaHedge.
While the number of new launches of funds with assets of $50
million or more continued to drop – with 111 launches
in 2011 as compared to 135 in 2010 and 139 in 2009 –
the total amount of assets raised increased.
The combined assets for 2011 reached $33.6 billion, up from
$30 billion in 2010. This is still less than half of the assets
raised by new funds in the peak year of 2007, when the biggest
273 funds launched raised total assets of $69.2 billion. If we
also take into account the number of new hedge funds launched
in onshore UCITS structures which raised...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager