Panel session: The art of hedge fund investing – where do hedge funds fit in?
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Hedge funds are about mixing ‘art and science’
Back to InvestHedge Forum 2012 home page
Few things irritate the hedge fund sector more than being
generalised as an asset class, when in fact there are myriad
strategies to be used at different times and, perhaps more
importantly, for different reasons. The panellists discussed
the merits of various strategies, including the less obvious
ones in terms of whether or not hedge fund investing was an art
of a science.
The majority of the panellists agreed that there is both
science and art at play when investing in hedge funds. "The art
part is the conversations we are having, and understanding what
motivates hedge fund managers, what culture is predominant in
the firm. However, picking a strategy is based on raw data and
facts, which is the science part. Managers are not static and
we pay them...
ISSN: 2151-1845 / CDC10004H
By registering you will receive
- A monthly newsletter on your specified areas of interest
- A fortnightly update on the sector
Take a trial today and access
- Performance news, fund launches, regulation changes and people moves
- Profiles of fund managers, investors and distributors
- Live league tables
- Investor mandates
Start your subscription today!
- Access our news and performance data online from anywhere
- Receive weekly emails with the latest news and performance data
- Free copies of the bi-annual Global Review inc. the Billion Dollar Club
- 24/7 online support
- Dedicated account manager