Asset flows: Investors pull from event-driven funds

by Amal Robleh

Managed futures funds take inflows.

October was a strong month for inflows into the hedge fund industry, with 80% of the Absolute Return hedge fund strategies experiencing positive inflows. 

Investors continue to funnel money into U.S. equity funds. The strategy, which is up 11.06% this year, took in net assets of 3.60% in October. Solid performance gains of 2.24% resulted in total assets increasing 5.84% for the strategy. 

Event-driven funds may be suffering from their own success, with investors re-balancing. The strategy had net outflows of 0.77% in October despite generating an asset-weighted gain of 2.42% for the month (the strategy has produced a median unweighted performance